In order to prevent data loss, make sure the following conditions are respected:
- Make safety copies on a regular basis, checking their integrity. External storage media (USB, Firewire) are a good choice for back-up;
- Write an emergency plan and practice restoring data in case of problems. A basic plan for emergency cases should look like this:
- The location of all available safety copies, including the date on which they were created and their type;
- Location of all software packages, including updates to the original version until now;
- Preparation of a backup computer;
- Do not make software or hardware upgrades without a fully verified backup;
- Provide the appropriate environmental conditions (stable temperature and humidity, cleaning) and proper handling in order to avoid electrostatic discharges and accidental mechanical shocks;
- Physically secure the systems to prevent intruders from breaking in;
- Implement security systems, starting at least with antivirus, firewall, IDS;
- Prepare for natural disasters (fires, floods, earthquakes etc.) keeping the copies securely at a different location than the current one.
In case you encounter any problems, please contact us.